Deal Angling Club 1919

Deal Angling Club
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Boom time
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:05 am 

Booms are old fashion and hardly used - yet now and again come into there own … I have just described myself by the sounds of it. Most Victorian anglers used booms as a means of standing out their catgut or cord hook snoods away from their cuttyhunk lines and lead weights. Normally they were completely made from brass wire and swivels in a two or three boom rigs. In days gone by the only way to achieve getting your bait a 100yds from the beach would have meant hiring a boat, therefore, air resistance and wind drag did not come into the casting equation. They were sold up to the 1960s, and it was only then that we started to use monofilament as rig bodies. I can remember making up ‘Dungy traces’ and ‘Wessex traces’ in 40 lb line.

The boom evolved from its brass predecessor with stainless steel. The Norfolk anglers made them to fish the shallow beaches and were deadly for flatfish. The ‘Yarmouth boom’ also suited their style in back casting. It was an elaborately made bit of kit with extra mono arms whipped on the main body and booms for tension and stopping the booms bending. Again as casting improved the wire had to be thinner to get any distance. Copies of these booms, without the strengtheners were made from 18-gauge wire.

The continentals also favoured booms. Perhaps this is where the ‘French boom’ got its name. My last encounters with some Belgian anglers were that the even preferred them for boat fishing … and catching (up to three at a time) rays.

The ‘Spreader’ was a variation that could be fished two hooks down and one above or visa-versa. The Herne Bay lads swore by these and I bet there are still a few in some of the older anglers tackle box.

So where is this leading too. Well I am a great fan of booms and used at the right time can give and edge. Agreed they will not cast, however, when a bit of scratching close in is needed, they can play a part in match angling. I have not found any that can be bought in a tackle shop to match my requirements, as they are to short, to thick or not stiff enough (back to describing myself again). Therefore, I make them out of 22-gauge high tensile stainless steel wire. The rig bodies are 60lb mono and length of boom is at least 9 inches plus. In theory they should not tangle and present three hooks that will always be showing. Last comp I made the snoods a bit too long and there was a slight problem. With the length of boom a short snood should work fine. In this day and age they will not be everyone’s cup of tea, nevertheless, when all else fails … they might be worth a try.

Post subject: Re: Boom time
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:10 pm 

I found this in a book dated late 1800s ... nothing changes

Attachments:
tackle.jpg
tackle.jpg [ 396.17 KiB | Viewed 2567 times ]