Deal Angling Club 1919

Deal Angling Club
It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 1919 pier and beach rover 5.9.2012 Results and comments
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:01 am 

In these lean times there seemed to be a cautious confidence of expectancy with the 16 anglers who fished in last night’s pier and beach rover. With the Bay, the Gardens, and Kingsdown an option, it was the pier that the majority chose. Obviously game plans had been thought about - or was it some magic bait?

Fishing the 4th Green Luke Hutton got off with a good start when he landed a LSD on his first cast, however, it was not until the last knockings that he managed three smooth hounds. These fish were to be the heaviest that were caught at around a kilo apiece and helped Luke into first position with a total bag of 4.270kg. Close behind him was Saul Page, fishing from the pier, with a dog and pout bag of 4.270kg. Also fishing from the pier were Dave Andrews, who took third spot, 1.930kg, and Steve Hackett for fourth with 1.480kg. Alan Underdown could not find the dogs at Kingsdown and had to settle for fifth place with a sizable bass of 920g.

For me, as an average angler, fishing is a passion. However, this last month my returns to the scales have been negligible. I sometimes wonder if I might get more enjoyment out of knitting and I am becoming something of a masochist. I suppose I had better read a bit more and get a few tips. Out comes good old ‘Mr Crabtree and fifty shade of grey’, now where was I, oh yes, chapter six … ‘and Mr Crabtree gets yet another thrashing at the match’.

Post subject: Re: 1919 pier and beach rover 5.9.2012 Results and comments
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:17 pm 
Beach Caster
Beach Caster

Well it wasn't the greatest tide for fishing but it sure was a superb late summers evening, shirts sleeves to the end. When i got it the car to drive home the temp gauge showed 20c - i thought it had stuck but it did fall to 19c when i got back to Thanet.

Many congratulations to Luke on his Maximuim points haul -they dont come along very often, smoothhounds in september whatever next.

One or two members have been mentioning to me that the fromat of the comps should be changed.

With a few anglers the bonus poins for the biggest fish are considered to be excessive and they would like to see the number reduced. I have suffered at times over the year with the bonus points but i cant see there advantage as they mean the championship can be wide open to the end and Luke proved that by catching up a good few places on tuesday.

There also seems to be a view that one or both of the series should be pegged so we all fish together. I might be old and stuck in my ways but i think this would be a retrograde step. At the moment water craft and choosing the right are is all part of the challenge. As Luke showed the other night a little lateral thinking can lead to a great nights fishing.

I hope neither change comes about but only time will tell.