Deal Angling Club 1919

Deal Angling Club
It is currently Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Visiting Deal in December
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:13 pm 
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

I live in Leeds and fish the North East coast and from boats out of Whitby etc. I am a member of Skipton Sea Angling Club. My late father was born in Deal - 7 years before your club was founded!!!! But I have never visited the area before. He was born in Eastry and schooled in Sandwich? So I will be visiting for a few days from 1st to 7th December this year to look round to see where Dad was born etc. I will bring my beach and boat rods with me. Can anyone please suggest best beach mark(s) for the time of year. Also, if possible I would like to go on a boat trip for on either the Saturday or the Sunday? Any chance I could meet up with members of your club during my visit to seek advice on fishing marks etc? Any help or advice would be most welcome. Many thanks - MikeSea

Post subject: Re: Visiting Deal in December
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:16 am 

Hi Mike
Eastry and Sandwich are very close to Deal and it only takes less than a 30 minutes drive to get there. Unfortunately we only have one charter boat left in Deal and he (Dave Lawrence) can be contacted on 01304 364616. In theory we should be catching a few cod at that time of year, however, they seemed to be thin on the ground last year. Should be plenty of whiting and dabs around and the beach fishing ought to be ok. If you PM me a bit closer to the date I can give you an update of what and where.
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:35 am 
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Thanks for your reply Dave

Travelling to other marks nearby during my trip is no problem. If there is only one charter boat working out of Deal, where is the nearest location with more boats?

I do enjoy mixed fishing on the beach, so flounder, dabs, whiting and maybe the odd cod (or three) sounds good to me.....

Can I dig worm down there? Where is best tackle shop for bait etc?

Cheers

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:29 am 

There is a larger selection of boats at Ramsgate, which is just up from Deal. They fish the area in the winter months and also do individual places for anglers. I see that you fish Whitby. Boat fishing off the Kent coast in December is normally at anchor and there is no need to put too much distance from shore as the fish are feeding closer in. Bait is lug and squid. I can give you the Ramsgate boat phone numbers if you wish.

If the weather is too bad to get afloat then the beaches should fish well. Looking at the tide table for the days of your stay you have high tides from 3.30pm to 9.30pm. You can dig bait from Sandwich Bay or Pegwell bay, which lays in-between Deal and Ramsgate. However, lug cost about £3.20 a score and the quality is good. We have three local tackle shops that supply and they are:
Channel Angling 01304 373104
Pleasure Angling 01304 239191
John’s Sea Tackle 01304 389859

If you fancy fishing a competition, then the club has one on the 6th of December from 6.45pm – 9.45pm on the beach or pier and you are welcome to fish that.

Hope this helps
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:34 am 
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Thanks again, again.

That is all really useful information Dave.

I was out from Hartlepool yesterday in the charter boat at http://www.famousanglingcharters.com/main.html. There had been a big blow up here for the past few days and although the forecast was good, there was a huge swell and the fishing was dreadful. But that's the way it is, isn't it.

I would appreciate phone numbers for any Ramsgate boats which you might recommend. I will get in touch and make a booking in advance.

With regards to the match on Sunday 6th December...... I might just take you up on that.

Thanks

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:06 pm 

No problem Mike, the club is only too happy to help visiting anglers.

Re Ramsgate boatmen:
Allan Booth (Lochin 38) Bonaventure II 01843595042 Mob 07850119971
Dave Hancock (Cyfish 33) Excel 01227365755 Mob 07774294959

If they cannot accommodate, I’m sure they can recommend someone else.
Dave