Deal Angling Club 1919

Deal Angling Club
It is currently Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Should Mackerel count in Matches ?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:12 am 
Beach Caster
Beach Caster

A look at the Sea todays makes me think it could be a good weekend for Mackerel but not much else.

When I first started Sea fishing Mackerel as far as I can remember didn’t count in any competitions. I guess the thinking they were too easy and competitors thrashing the water with feathers made it difficult for anglers trying to fish properly, some clubs even went as far as to ban feathers and lures.

Over the years as stocks of the other fish that could be caught in clear water like Plaice and Pollock have diminished which have left us with nothing else to catch at some venues at certain times?

Mackeral are still barred from The Deal Angling Club 1919 club competitions and by many other clubs but two of the clubs I belong to allow some to count. Birchington allow 3 kilos and I believe Herne Bay allow 4 Mackerel.

I am fishing Samphire hoe tomorrow and if reports are to believed everyone will get their 3 kilos so they aren’t going to make any difference except in terms of how long it takes to catch them, but no one will blank.

So what’s the answer, I believe a limited number should count, a fish is a fish, and if it saves a blank that must be a good thing.

Personally I really enjoy float fishing for Mackerel and Gars and hope to catch a few this way tomorrow even if it’s not as efficient as a string of three feathers. In the ideal world I would allow Mackerel if caught on bait or on a single lure but I guess this isn’t really practical.

Am I alone in my thinking would others like to see Mackerel counting in competitions with a limit of say 6?

Dave

Post subject: Re: Should Mackerel count in Matches ?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:54 am 

IMHO I don’t think any sizable fish should be banned from weighing in at matches … also the restriction on the amount as well (apart from dogfish and smooth hounds … only joking … not). I agree the method of capture should be bait only and not lures. My reason is that most of the prolific fish are seasonal and there is no guarantee that you will catch a great amount on the day of the comp if the conditions are not right. Therefore you are only making the most of the fish that are in your casting zone. Mackerel used to be weighed in the past at certain matches. Included is a press cutting from a 1964 Folkstone beach match.

Attachments:
Mackys.jpg
Mackys.jpg [ 415.73 KiB | Viewed 5246 times ]